Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Mushroom Story

It started last December while I was contemplating the coming of a new year and what I want to do next. At around the same time I decided to give vegetable gardening another try. Since I am a true blue computer potato (I am now adopting this nickname!!!) I spent hours doing research online before I actually picked up the spade to start tilling the soil. While I was at it (the online research) I keep on seeing articles and websites regarding mushroom farming. Before I knew it I was spending more and more time researching about it. So, finally a few days after New Year, I went to Manila and bought my very first grow bags. One of them was mature enough that it start fruiting the day after I purchased them.

Taken morning of Day 1






Taken around mid afternoon


Taken before I went to bed

Day 2

Taken in the morning


Mid afternoon


Around midnight


3rd Day

I panicked a little when I saw that my mushrooms barely grew any bigger than it was last night and the stems are turning brown so I decided....it's time...to harvest it now :D

Right after I cut it off from the grow bag. Not pretty to look at and it felt leathery to the touch.


After washing it 3 times in tap water. The browning of the stems kinda disappeared and the color changed to pasty white and its does not feel as leathery.


Cooked it in garlic and butter:


Verdict: It's hard to describe..... there's a hint of sweetness but not like the sweetness of sugar, the texture was soft but not mushy. Do I like it? ..... I LOVE IT!!!! Totally incomparable to canned and store bought mushrooms I've eaten before. It was simply divine!








0 comments:

 
The Crazy World of Me, Myself and I © 2008 Template by Exotic Mommie Illustration by Dapina